| MS/PHD Admissions Process
DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, IIT MADRAS
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE PROCESS THAT IS LIKELY TO BE FOLLOWED FOR THE JANUARY-2023 ADMISSIONS TO THE ME DEPARTMENT.
- Shortlisting (Based on UG/PG and GATE scores)
- Online interviews of shortlisted candidates
- Recommendation for admission will be based on
- Interview Performance
- UG/PG/GATE Marks as may be applicable
- Candidates with more than 10 years after their qualifying degree will have to take an online test (in lieu of a written test)
- Final admissions is incumbent upon producing satisfactory certificates and other documents as the case may be, to the administration.
PROCESS DETAILS: FROM SHORTLISTING TO RECEIVING INTERVIEW CALL LETTERS
IMPORTANT: You are requested to periodically check the website of the department of mechanical engineering (https://mech.iitm.ac.in/meiitm/) for the following information.
- Shortlisting criteria: As we have been doing so far, the website will indicate the shortlisting criteria used.
- The list of candidates shortlisted for interview*: The list of candidates who have been shortlisted (based on UG/PG/GATE scores).
- Interview call letter receiving date*: When you can expect to receive (via email), the Interview Call Letter (if you have been shortlisted)
- Tentative dates for the interviews (Online): Exact dates will be sent via email at a later date.
- Final interview dates: Candidates who have been shortlisted and also filled the google form specifying that they will appear for the interview only will be listed along with the interview dates (See Point 4 above)
- Any changes to the procedure and dates
* IF YOU FEEL YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN SHORTLISTED AND YOUR APPLICATION NUMBER DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE LIST OR YOU DID NOT RECEIVE THE INTERVIEW CALL LETTER BY THE MENTIONED DATE, PLEASE EMAIL (email@example.com) WITHIN 24 HRS OF THE INTERVIEW CALL LETTER RECEIVING DATE.
PLEASE MAKE THE SUBJECT OF YOUR EMAIL AS (Application Number)-JANUARY2022-Admissions.
PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ANYONE ELSE OR CALL US.
Any queries related to MS/PhD admissions, Please contact: 044 2257 5694
- The interviews are an examination. The dates sent to you are final and cannot be changed for any reason. If there is a change in the schedule due to unforeseen circumstances, you will receive an email confirming the same from the department.
- The interviews will be conducted online. If you want to attend the interviews,
- Please ensure that you will have very good network connection, a good laptop/smartphone with microphone and camera facilities on the interview day. All these are essential for the interview. If you do not have connection to internet and power, and laptop/desktop with audio/video or smartphone with audio/video (camera) facilities, then the interview cannot be conducted due to lack of facilities at your end.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that the committee members can see/hear you during the interview. If during the interview, the committee members were unable to interview you successfully due to poor infrastructure at your end, you will have to re-apply for the next round. You cannot be reconsidered again without another application.
- You are requested to be available to take the interview anytime during that day. Providing a specific time is impossible due to various uncertainties associated with internet connections, power outages, availability of committee members, etc. Therefore, make yourself available to attend the interview on the stipulated date.
- Do not request for rescheduling the interview for an alternative time on the scheduled day. Such requests will not be entertained and may amount to disqualification from this round of interviews and you may have to re-apply.
- No mock interviews will be conducted this time. A volunteer will email you soon with some instructions on attending online interviews.
- On the interview day, a volunteer will call you and share the google meet link with you, and ask you to join. A faculty member of the committee will admit you and begin the interview.
- The interview may be recorded (Either in full or a part of it) for archival and as proof of attendance.
- You will have to show (on camera) the following items to the Chairperson of the committee when she/he asks for it
- An identification (Preferably Aadhaar)
- Your application form which has your photograph
- You should have your camera ON at all times during the interviews (mock and actual interview). If there are bandwidth problems, the Chairperson may take a call and request you to switch OFF your camera during the interview and ask you to switch it back ON again if needed.
- The committee may ask you to write and show the answer to some questions. You should be ready with a WHITE PAPER and BLACK FELT pen. You should hold the paper up to show it on your camera for the committee members to see. So, you must be clear in your writing. Please have these ready for the interview.