Office : Room No . 204, Machine Design Section, IIT Madras
Tel: (O) : +91 44 2257 4693
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Sourav Rakshit received his PhD and ME from IISc Bangalore in 2012 and 2006 respectively. He is a BE in mechanical engineering from Jadavpur University. He was a postdoctoral researcher at University of North Carolina at Charlotte from 2012 to 2014, and before joining IIT Madras he was institute postdoc at IIT Kanpur (May-July 2014). He worked as a scientist in the reactor engineering division in BARC from 2000-2004.
Sourav’s research interests are in multibody dynamics, robotics, biomechanics, convex and topology optimization.
- Kinematics and Dynamics of Machinary
- Multibody Dynamics
- Theory of Mechanisms
- Variational Principles in Mechanics
- Topology Optimization
- CAD/CAM for Product Design
- Kandula Eswara Sai Kumar and Sourav Rakshit, Optimization based synthesis of pelvic structure for loads in running gait cycle, Sadhana, journal of Indian academy of sciences, 2022, vol. 47, 118, (https://doi.org/10.1007/s12046-022-01881-8) .
- Arkaprabho Pal and Sourav Rakshit, Isogeometric Shape Optimization for Design Dependent Loads, ASME Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, 2021, vol. 22(3), 031004 (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4053076).
- Kandula Eswara Sai Kumar and Sourav Rakshit, Design of Pelvic Prosthesis using Topology Optimization for Loads in Running Gait Cycle, Journal of Institute of Engineers, India, Series C, 2021, vol. 102(5), pp. 1119-1128. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s40032-021-00734-3).
- Eswara Sai Kandula and Sourav Rakshit, Topology Optimization of The Hip Bone for A Few Activities of Daily Living, International Journal of Advances in Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics, 2020, vol. 12(3), pp. 193-210.
- Eswara Sai Kandula and Sourav Rakshit, Topology Optimization of The Hip Bone for Gait Cycle, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 2020, vol. 62, pp. 2035-2049.
- Sourav Rakshit and Anindya Chatterjee, Scalar Generalization of Newtonian restitution for Simultaneous Impact, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 2015, vol. 103, pp. 141-157.
- Sourav Rakshit and Srinivas Akella, The Influence of Motion Paths and Assembly Sequences on the Stability of Assemblies, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 2015, vol. 12(2), pp. 615-627.
- Sourav Rakshit and G. K. Ananthasuresh, A Novel Approach to Large Scale Polypeptide Folding Based on Elastic Networks Using Continuous Optimization, Journal of Theoretical Biology, 2010, vol. 262, pp. 488-497.
- Sourav Rakshit and G. K. Ananthasuresh, An Amino Acid Map of Inter-Residue Contact Energies Using Metric Multidimensional Scaling, Journal of Theoretical Biology, 2008, vol. 250, pp. 291-297.
- Sourav Rakshit and G. K. Ananthasuresh, Simultaneous Material Selection and Geometry Design of Statically Determinate Trusses Using Continuous Optimization, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 2008, vol. 35, pp. 55-68.
Peer Reviewed Conferences
- Rajaraman S and Sourav Rakshit, Design optimization of pelvic prosthesis for type-I resection, ASME IDETC-CIE, 14-17 August, 2022.
- Ramachandra K and Sourav Rakshit, Estimation of internal joint forces and resisting torques for impact of walking robot model, 5th International and National Conference on Machines and Mechanisms (iNaCoMM 2021), December 9-11, 2021.
- Koushik Kabiraj and Sourav Rakshit, A New Method for Solving Simultaneous Impact Problems in Constrained Multibody Systems, 5th International and National Conference on Machines and Mechanisms (iNaCoMM 2021), December 9-11, 2021.
- Rajaraman S and Sourav Rakshit, Lattice topology optimization for hip bone microstructure, 4th National Conference on Multidisciplinary Design, Ananlysis, and Optimization, 7-9 October, 2021, IIT Madras.
- Rahul Ramachandran, Sourav Rakshit, and G. Saravana Kumar, Topology Optimization with Orthotropic Material Model for Design-Dependent Loads, 4th National Conference on Multidisciplinary Design, Ananlysis, and Optimization, 7-9 October, 2021, IIT Madras.
- Arkaprabho Pal and Sourav Rakshit, Isogeometric Shape Optimization for Design Dependent Loads, ASME IDETC-CIE, 15-17 August, 2021.
- K. E. Sai Kumar and Sourav Rakshit, Topology Optimization of The Hip Bone for Walking Using Multi-Load Approach, ASME IMECE, 13-19 November, 2020.
- K. E. Sai Kumar and Sourav Rakshit, Topology Optimization of The Pelvic Bone Prosthesis Under Single Leg Stance, ASME IDETC-CIE, 15-17 August, 2020.
- Shoudho Das, Satyajit Halder, Sourabh Sahoo, Sujatha Srinivasan and Sourav Rakshit, Design and development of a sit-to-stand assistive device, International and National Conference on Machines and Mechanisms (iNaCoMM 2019), IIT Mandi, 5-7 December, 2019. (winner of 1st prize in student mechanism design contest)
- Mangesh Pathak and Sourav Rakshit, Contact analysis of a spur gear pair and a planetary gear train using linear complementarity based compliant contact model, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE), Salt Lake City, Utah, 11-14 November, 2019.
- Mangesh Pathak and Sourav Rakshit, Contact analysis of a planetary gear train using linear complementarity, International Conference on Mechanical Power Transmission, IIT Madras, Chennai, 11-13 July, 2019, Published in IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 624 (2019) 012033, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/624/1/012033.
- K. E. Sai Kumar, A. Sundarmoorthy, S. Natarajan, and S. Rakshit, Shape Optimization of Beams with Scaled Boundary Finite Element Method and B-Splines, National Conference on Multidisciplinary Design, Analysis, and Optimization, Bangalore, 22-23 March, 2019.
- Mangesh Pathak, Sourav Rakshit and Manish Gautam, Contact Analysis of A Gear Pair Using Linear Complementarity, 5th Asian Mechanism and Machine Science Conference, Bangalore, 17-19 December, 2018, Published in Springer Nature Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanism and Machine Science, Select Proceeding of Asian MMS 2018, Eds. D. Sen, S. Mohan, G. K. Ananthasuresh, pp. 239-253.
- K. E. Sai Kumar and S. Rakshit, Implementation of Topological Derivative as an Evolutionary Approach, International Conference on Recent Innovations and Developments in Mechanical Engineering (IC-RIDME 2018), Shillong, 8-10 November, 2018, Published in Springer Nature Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, Selected Proceedings of ICRIDME 2018, Eds. B. B. Biswal, B. K. Sarkar, P. Mahanta, pp. 1511-1520.
- M. D. Aravind and Sourav Rakshit, Study of The Effect of The Circular Control Cylinder on The Flow Around Circular Main Cylinder at Low Reynolds Numbers Using An Immersed Boundary Method, Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 4-6 January, 2018, pages 164-167.
- Tejas Tamboli and Sourav Rakshit, Heuristic Selection of Grasp Surfaces for From-Closure on Polyhedral Objects, 3rd International and National Conference on Machines and Mechanisms (iNaCoMM 2017), Mumbai, 13-15 December, 2017.
- Vyankatesh Astekar and Sourav Rakshit, Trajectory Optimization Based Prediction of Sit-to-Stand Motion, International and National Conference on Machines and Mechanisms (iNaCoMM 2017), Mumbai, 13-15 December, 2017. (best poster prize)
- Atul Khorade and Sourav Rakshit, Optimum Support Layout Design for Periodically Loaded Structures Using Topology Optimization, 13th International Conference on Vibration Problems, Guwahati, India, 29 November – 2 December, 2017.
- K. E. Sai Kumar and S. Rakshit, Optimal Design of Structure with Specified Fundamental Natural Frequency Using Topology Optimization, 13th International Conference on Vibration Problems, Guwahati, India, 29 November – 2 December, 2017.
- K. E. Sai Kumar, S. Rakshit and S. Natarajan, Comparative study between FEM and SBFEM in topology optimization, Indian Conference on Applied Mechanics, Allahabad, India, 5-7 July, 2017.
- Sourav Rakshit and Srinivas Akella, A Trajectory Optimization Formulation for Assistive Robotic Devices, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Stockholm, Sweden, 2016, pp. 2068-2074.
- Sourav Rakshit and G. K. Ananthasuresh, Simultaneous Geometry Optimization and Material Selection for Truss Structures, ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, September 10-13, 2006.
- Design, Development, and Testing of Gait Training Setup with Lower Limb Exoskeleton for Gait Training of Stroke and Spinal Cord Injury Patients (2021-2022, CSR Project Portescap)
- Design and Development of Sit-to-stand Mobility Aid (2019-, CSR project Portescap)
- Development and Demonstration of Algorithms for Ingot Handling System (2019-2022, BARC)
<!– class=”block-news style84 style122″ align=”justify”>Project Positions –>