Born in Madras in 1978, Dr. Sundararajan Natarajan (Sundar) joined the Machine Design Section, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras on 10th Sep 2014, as an Assistant Professor. Before this Sundar was a post-doctoral research fellow in the School of Civil & Environmental Engineering, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia. Sundar graduated in Computational Mechanics with a PhD from Cardiff University, UK, under the guidance of Professor Stéphane PA Bordas and Dr Pierre Kerfriden.
Sundar is an active member of legato team. Sundar’s research interests includes development and application of advanced discretization techniques for moving boundary problems within a multi physics/multiscale framework.
- Partition of Unity Methods, 12 – 18 Dec 2016 with Prof. N. Sukumar, University of California, Davis, USA.
- Scaled Boundary Finite Element Method, 14-18, Nov 2016 with Prof. Chongmin Song, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
- Nonlinear continuum mechanics, 18 – 29 Jul 2016 with Prof. Timon Rabczuk, Bauhaus University, Weimar, Germany.
- Multiscale Methods in Mechanics (3M), 23 May – 3 Jun 2016, with Prof. Stephane PA Bordas, University of Luxembourg.
Awards & Honors
- UTS-KTP visiting fellow, University of Technology-Sydney, Australia.
- Post-doctoral research fellow, School of Civil & Environmental Engineering, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, 2012-2014.
- Session Chair, Advances & Applications of the Generalized/Extended Finite Element Method, USNCCM 2013, Jul 22-25, 2013.
- NSF travel award to attend NSF workshop on ‘Barycentric coordinates in Geometry Processing and Finite/Boundary Element Methods’, July 25-27 2012, USA.
- Zienkiewicz best PhD prize, Association of Computational Mechanics in Engineering, 2012.
- Best student paper presentation, 23rd Biennial Conference on Numerical Analysis, Strathclyde, UK, June 2009.
- Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme, PhD studentship, UK, 2008 – 2011.
- Cardiff School of Engineering PhD Studentship, Cardiff University, Wales, 2009-2011.
- M Surendran, S Natarajan, SPA Bordas, GS Palani, Linear smoothed extended finite element method, IJNME, Accepted, 2017
- A Francis, A Ortiz-Bernardin, S Bordas, S Natarajan, Linear smoothed polygonal and polyhedral finite elements, IJNME, 109, 1263-1288, 2017
- VP Nguyen, TC Nguyen, T Rabczuk, S Natarajan, On a family of convected particle domain interpolations in the material point method, FEAD, 126, 50-64, 2017
- E Martinez-Paneda, S Natarajan, S Bordas, Gradient plasticity crack tip characterizations by means of the extended finite element method, Comput Mech, Article accepted, 2017
- F Marques, S Natarajan, AJM Ferreira, Evolutionary based aeroelastic tailoring of stiffened laminate composite panels in supersonic flow regime, Comp Struct, 167, 30-37, 2017
- ALN Pramod, S Natarajan, AJM Ferreira, E Carrera, M Cinefra, Static and free vibration analysis of cross-ply laminated plates using the Reissner-mixed variational theory and the cell based smoothed finite element method, EJMSOL, 62, 14-21, 2017
- M Sellam, S Natarajan, K Kannan, Smoothed polygonal finite element method for generalized solids subjected to torsion, Comput & Struct, Article accepted, 2017
- S Natarajan, ET Ooi, A Saputra, C Song, A scaled boundary finite element formulation over arbitrary faceted star convex polyhedra, EABE, Article accepted, 2017
- S Natarajan, Hirshikesh, N Swaminathan, RK Annabattula, Effects of stress-diffusion interactions in an isotropic elastic media in the presence of geometric discontinuities, JCSMD, 4, 230-240, 2017