Dr. Sushanta Kumar Panigrahi received his PhD from Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee in 2009. He worked as Post Doctoral Research Fellow at Centre for Friction Stir Processing, Missouri University of Science & Technology, Missouri , USA from 2009 to 2012 before joining IIT Madras. He was also a Visiting Professor at Ecole Centrale Nantes, France during May-June 2016.
His research interest includes: (i) Development/Manufacturing of advanced materials; their fundamental science and manufacturability (Bulk ultrafine/nano grained materials, Metal matrix/Nano composites, In-situ composites, Ultrafine grained in-situ/ex-situ composites, High strength light weight Al, Mg and Ti based metallic materials, Materials as per design etc., Structure-Property-Manufacturability (Machining/Forming/Joining) correlation of such developed materials) ; (ii) Materials Processing (MP) for property enhancement (MP based on Severe plastic deformation, Thermomechanical treatment, Friction, Heat treatment, Microwave processing etc.; Microstructure-Texture-Processing correlation); (iii) Advanced Metal Forming (Bulk and sheet metal forming, Severe plastic deformation, Microforming, Incremental forming and Superplastic forming, Microstructure-Crystallography texture – Property- Formability correlation); (iv) Plasticity and deformation behavior of materials (Deformation behavior under Quasistatic, Dynamic and Cyclic testing domain at sub-zero to high temperature range, Processing map development) and (v) Solid state processing and joining of similar/dissimilar materials (Friction stir processing/welding, Roll bonding etc.).
He has published more than 65 papers in peer reviewed SCI journals with average impact factor of 4.4. His publications received more than 2000 citations and his Scopus h index of 26. He has been actively associated with sponsored projects with different funding agencies like; DST, ISRO, DRDO, DSIR, MHRD, DHI, Mahindra & Mahindra, Renault Nissan, Magnesium Elektron North America, Titan Company Ltd, HINDALCO-Aditya Birla Group, Rane NSK Steering System etc..
Awards & Honors
- Institute Research Award# (2019-20) from IIT Madras (for excellent research of Dr. S.K. Panigrahi’s PhD scholar Omkar Bembalge).
- Recipient of most prestigious IMPRINT Project and DST-Advanced Manufacturing Technology (AMT) (Under MAKE IN INDIA Scheme) Projects as Principal Investigator.
- Successful in publishing at high impact journals like Materials Research Letters (IF-7.5), Journal of Mg alloys (IF-7.2), Scientific Report (Nature), International Journal of Plasticity (6.6), Corrosion Science (6.5) etc.
- Best paper awards to Bheemreddy Prathyusha (1st) and Rakesh Kumar (2nd) (Both are PhD scholars of Dr. S.K. Panigrahi) at Sixth Asian Conference and Expo on Heat Treatment and Surface Engineering during 3-5 March 2020, organized by Jointly “International Federation of Heat Treatment & Surface Engineering along with ASM International.
- Emerging Professional Achievement Award for the year 2018 from ASM International.
- Institute Research Award# (2018-19) from IIT Madras (for excellent research of Dr. S.K. Panigrahi’s PhD scholar Biranchi Narayan Sahoo).
- Institute Research Award# (2017-18) from IIT Madras (for excellent research of Dr. S.K. Panigrahi’s PhD scholar Abhijeet Dhal).
- Sri R Krishnamurthy Endowment Award to Dr. Jose Immanuel (1st PhD student of Dr. S.K. Panigrahi) in July 2017 (for best PhD thesis in the area of Advanced Materials, Surface Engineering, Coating and Treatments)
- S. Anantharamakrishnan Merit Award to Mr. Amith Muraleedharan (M.Tech student of Dr. S.K. Panigrahi) in July 2017 (for best M.Tech project in Mechanical Engineering for the year 2017)
- A publication (O. Bemblage and S.K. Panigrahi) awarded as Editor’s choice Paper in Metallurgical and Materials Transaction A (50(2019) 4288-4306.
- A publication (G.R. Argade, S.K. Panigrahi, R.S. Mishra Corrosion Science, Elsevier Publ., 58 (2012) 145-151) appeared as Top 25 most cited papers published in Corrosion Science (Elsevier publication, Science Direct) for 5 years ( 2012 to 2017).
- Visiting Professorship at Ecole Centrale Nantes, France during May-June 2016
- Post Doctoral Fellowship from Missouri University of Science & Technology, MO, USA
- CSIR, RA Fellowship Award (9/143 (702)/ 09)
- IIM Swarna Jayanti Endowment Award
- CCSTDS (INSA-CSIR-DAE/BRNS-DOS/ISRO) young scientist foreign travel fellowship (DO/Lr/TF-III/09)
- CSIR foreign travel grants (TG/3268/08-HRD)
- DST foreign travel grants (SR/ITS/N-121/2009-2010)
- Best research paper (Second) award in the International Conference on Metals and Alloys: Past, Present and Futute, IIT, Kanpur (7th-10th December, 2007)
- University 2nd rank award in M.TECH
# Institute Research Award is generally given to 25 best research scholar in every year among all departments (17 departments + centers) of IIT Madras. This award is given for the excellence in PhD research work.
Selected Publications (Most Recent Selected Publications: 2019-2020)
- S. Behera, S. K. Panigrahi*, International Journal of Plasticity (Elsevier) 133 (2020) 102772. (Impact Factor: 6.5).
- S. Behera, A. A.Dhal, S. K. Panigrahi*, International Journal of Plasticity (Elsevier) 97 (2018) 159-177 (Impact Factor: 6.5).
- S.K Panigrahi, R.S Mishra, R.C Brennan, K. Cho, Materials Research Letters (Taylors & Francis) 8 (2020) 151-157 (Impact Factor-7.5).
- A. Dhal, S.K. Panigrahi*, M.S. Shunmugam, Scientific Reports (Nature) 9 (2019) 10683.
- S.K Sahoo, B.N Sahoo, S.K Panigrahi*, Materials Science and Engineering A (Elsevier) 773 (2020) 138883 (Impact Factor-4.7).
- B. Bembalge, S.K. Panigrahi*, Materials Science and Engineering A (Elsevier) 768 (2019) 138482 (Impact Factor-4.7).
- B.N. Sahoo, S.K. Panigrahi*, Journal of Alloys and Compounds (Elsevier) 776 (2019) 865-882 (Impact Factor-4.7).
- S. Babu, S.K Panigrahi*, G.D.J Ram, P.V. Venkitakrishnan, R.S. Kumar, Journal of Materials Processing Technology (Elsevier) 266 (2019) 155-164 (Impact Factor-4.7).
- B. N.Sahoo, S.K. Panigrahi*, Tribology International, (Elsevier), 135 (2019) 463-477 (Impact Factor-4.3).
- A. Mohanty, J.K. Sampreeth , Omkar Bembalge, J.Y. Hascoet, S. Maryaa, R.J. Immanuel, S.K. Panigrahi*, Surface & Coatings Technology (Elsevier) 380 (2019) 125028 (Impact Factor-3.8).
- B. Bembalge, S.K. Panigrahi*, Ceramic International (Elsevier) 45 (2019) 20091-20104 (Impact Factor-3.8).
- MD F. Khan, G.M. Kartik, S.K. Panigrahi*, G.D.J Ram, Materials Characterization (Elsevier) 147 (2019) 365-378 (Impact Factor-3.6).
- Deb, S.K Panigrahi*, M. Weiss, Materials Characterization (Elsevier) 154 (2019) 80-93 (Impact Factor-3.6).
- R Argade, S.K Panigrahi, R.S Mishra, Journal of Materials Science (Springer) 48 (2020) 5633-5644 (Impact Factor-3.6).
- B. Bembalge, S.K. Panigrahi*, Metallurgical & Materials Transaction A (Springer) 50 (2019) 4288-4306 (Impact Factor-2.1)(Award Winning-Editors Choice Paper).
*For corresponding author.