Emeritus Professor (until June 2015)
Machine Design Section
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. S. Narayanan is currently an emeritus professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He received his B. E. in Mechanical Engineering from GCT, Coimbatore in 1967. He received his M.Tech (1970) and Ph.D. (1975) both in Aeronautical Engineering from IIT Kanpur. He started his career at IIT Madras in 1975 as a Lecturer in Department of Applied Mechanics. Later he moved to IIT Kanpur as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Aeronautical Engineering during 1978-1980. He then moved back to IIT Madras as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Applied Mechanics. He has unique distinction of working as a professor in the Departments of Aerospace Engineering, Applied Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering at IIT Madras. He was also Dean (Academic Research) at IIT Madras during 2000-2006.
He was also a visiting faculty at the Mechanical Engineering Department of Concordia University, Montreal, Canada.
His research interests include Vibrations and Acoustics, Random Vibrations, Chaos and Nonlinear Dynamical Systems, Smart Structures, Vibration and Noise Contorl (Active and Passive) and Vehicle Dynamics. He has published about 115 peer-reviewed international journal articles 150 conference proceedings with a total of about 1000 citations.
Awards & Honours
- Alexander Von Humboldt Post Doctoral Fellowship at the Institute for Technical Acoustics, Technical University Berlin, (1984-85)
- Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Best Paper Award, 51st AGM,Aeronautical Society of India(2000)
- Dr. S. Bhagavantham award of the Acoustical Society of India in 2003 for his contributions and leadership in the area of Acoustics for the years 2001-2002
- M.S.Narayanan Memorial Lecture Award, Acoustical society of India(2007)
- Silver Medal, Madras Regional chapter of the Acoustical Society of America for contributions in Structural Acoustics
- B Santhosh, S Narayanan, C Padmanabhan., “ Nonlinear Dynamics of Shrouded Turbine Blade System with Impact and Friction” Applied Mechanics and Materials 706, 81-92, 2015.
- A Najdecka, S Narayanan, M Wiercigroch., “Rotary Motion of Parametric and Planar Pendulum under Stochastic Wave Excitation”, International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 2015.
- P Kumar, S Narayanan, S Gupta. “ Finite Element Solution of Fokker-Planck Equation of Nonlinear Oscillators subjected to Colored Non-Gaussian Noise”,Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics 38, 143-155, 2014.
- V.Havale, S Narayanan.,“Diagnosis of Manufacturing Defects in a Gear Pair using Wavelet analysis of Vibration and Acoustic Signals and an ANN- based Inference Technique”. Insight-Non-Destructive Testing and Condition Monitoring 56 (8), 426-433, 2014.
- B Santhosh, C Padmanabhan, S Narayanan.,“Numeric-Analytic Solutions of Smooth and Discontinuous Oscillator”. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 84, 102-119, 2014.