Dr. A. Seshadri Sekhar received his PhD from IIT Madras, India in 1993. He has joined IIT Kharagpur in 1993 as a lecturer and got promoted as Professor in 2003. He has published over 200 papers in international journals and conferences. He is the co-author of the book –Dynamic Analysis of Rotating Systems and Applications (Multi Science Publishing Ltd., UK).
His areas of research include rotor dynamics, tribology, condition monitoring and vibrations. He had earlier worked as an Engineer, for about 4 years in NTPC and BemL, before settling in teaching profession.
Awards & Honors
- Recipient of Alexander Von Humboldt Fellowship (2001)
- Career Award for Young Teacher, awarded by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) (1998)
- Won the Unlock Ideas proposal from Lam Research Corporation, USA (2020)
- Elsevier awarded recognized reviewer (2014)
- The Editorial member of the Journal of Advances in Mechanical Engineering – SAGE (earlier with Hindawi Publishing Corporation), (2010-2014).
- Institute Scheme for Innovative Research and Development (ISIRD)(1995-1997) (awarded by IIT, Kharagpur to a few young faculty members)
- University Second Rank in B.E., Andhra University , Waltair, INDIA (1983)
- K.Raja Bapaiah Gold Medal in SSC, Guntur District, A.P. , INDIA (1977)
- Head of the Department, Department Of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras (Dec 2020 – till date).
- Professor-in-charge, Central Workshop, Department Of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras (Jan 2018 – till date).
- Coordinator, Web enabled M.Tech Course in Mechanical Engg. with ‘Mechanical Design’ specialization ( Sept. 2018- till date).
- Professor-in-charge, Coordinating a Pilot E-Bus project for a sustainable public eMobility solution in the IITM campus with ABB and Ashok Leyland Limited (Feb 2020 –till date).
- Head, Machine Design Section, Department Of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras ( Jan 2015 – Jan 2018).
( Machine Design section comprises of different labs; has 20 faculty and 12 supporting staff).
- Chairman, Search committee, Department Of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Madras ( March 2015 – June 2017).
- Professor in- charge of Machine Dynamics laboratory, Mechanical Engineering Department, IIT Kharagpur, (1997-1999).
- Organising Vice-Chairman, GATE-2000, IIT Kharagpur (June 1999-July 2000).
- Mukesh Chandra, P.Srikanth and A.S.Sekhar, 2020, ” Dynamic Characterization of Wind Turbine Drive Train: Aerodynamic Torque Vs Combined Loading “, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering (IJMPE), pp. 16-21, Volume-8, Issue-6.
- Sagi Rathna Prasad and A.S.Sekhar, 2020 “ Detection and localization of fatigue-induced transverse crack in a rotor shaft using principal component analysis” July 2020, Structural Health Monitoring https://doi.org/10.1177/1475921720933581.
- Sreedhar Babu G, A.S.Sekhar and Lingamurthy, 2019, “Diagnostics of actuation system by Hadamard product of integrated motor current residuals applied to electro-mechanical actuators”, Int. J. of Prognostics and Health Management, Vol 10(1), 022, Pages 14, 2019.
- S. Soorajkrishna, A.S.Sekhar, and K. Shankar, 2019, “Multi-objective Optimization of rotor-bearing systems with an investigation of Goal Programming approach”, Journal of Mechanical Engg. Science, I. Mech, Part C, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954406218811999. Vol. 233(12) 4270–4287.
- B Narasimha Rao and A.S.Sekhar, 2018, “Analysis of Magneto-Rheological Fluid Journal Bearing”, Journal of Applied Mechanics and Materials ( in print).
- Pavani Udatha, A.S.Sekhar, and Velmurugan R., (2018), “The Effect of CNT to Enhance the Dynamic Properties of Hybrid Composite Tube Shafts”, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures (taylor& Francis), accepted – 10.1080/15376494.2018.1534172.
- N. Harish Chandra and A.S.Sekhar, “Hilbert Transform based FRF estimation from run-up response of rotors” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, IMechE.E Part C, 232 (12), pp.2200-2210.2018.
- N. Harish Chandra and A.S.Sekhar, “Wavelet Transform Based Estimation of Modal Parameters of Rotors during Operation” Measurement, vol.130, 264-278, 2018.
- Sagi Rathna Prasad and A.S.Sekhar, “Life Estimation Of Shafts Using Vibration-Based Fatigue Analysis” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology (Springer), 32 (9) (2018) 4071-4078.
- Vyankatesh A., Uday G., Shrikant T., Dipanand B., Sanjay H., Suraj M., Pranav D., A.S.Sekhar “Innovative Design of Toothbrush by using Product Design Principles”, International Conference on Design and Manufacturing, IITDM, Dec. 16-17, 2016 and in the Int. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, Vol. 9 (09s), 90-96 (2017).