Thank you for your interest in starting your research career with us. Please read the instructions below for further details. All the candidates who applied through the IITM research portal until 25th October 2017 for admission in the MS/PhD/MS+PhD (Direct PhD) program in Dec 2017 have been considered for this round of interviews. Candidates whose course in ongoing and have applied between 23rd Septemeber and 22nd October 2017 for admission to the 2018 July semester, have also been considered for this round of interviews. Around 1400 candidates have applied in this period. The department may take upto 20 PhD (or MS+PhD) and 17 MS students with fellowship in December 2017, and upto 14 students with fellowship in the MS+PhD program for the July 2018 semester. The department may or may not fill in all the positions available. In addition, the department may take more students in the non-fellowship categories (NHTRA, External, Staff, etc.)
Institute-wide regulations are at the Admissions Brochure at https://research.iitm.ac.in/research2018/brochure/Admissionbrochure-for-July-2018.pdf. Since, the number of candidates applying is large, the department uses a combination of screening tests and interviews to select students, as described below.
- Preliminary shortlsting of candidates has been done based on the criteria mentioned at this page: https://mech.iitm.ac.in/meiitm/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/AdmissionCriteria.pdf. Approximately 500 candidates for PhD, and 275 candidates for MS have been shortlisted. In cases where a student’s score in UG or PG is given as a CGPA, it is first converted to a 10 point scale, and then converted to marks based only on the IITM formula (Marks=[CGPA out of 10 – 6]*10 + 55). In cases where multiple applications have been received, the latest application is generally considered.
- If you meet these criteria, you should receive an email from the Office of the Department of Mechanical Engineering (ME Office) on Wednesday (8th November 2017). If you meet the criteria, but do not receive an email by 10th November, please contact the ME office (). Please mention “Admissions” and your application number in the subject line of any mail you send to the ME office.
- Please see the relevant section below as per your category of admission, and the Common Instructions at the end. Categories of admission are at listed at https://research.iitm.ac.in/research2018/brochure/admin_categories.pdf
Fulltime students with or without institute fellowship (HTRA/NHTRA):
- A list of prospective guides, the number of HTRA and NHTRA students they may take, and the topics they are offering is available at this link. It is also indicated if the topics are offered to PhD or MS or Direct PhD (MS+PhD) students. After careful consideration of the topics based on your interest and skill sets, you may choose the names of two prospective guides (in your order of preference) whom you would like to work with. Candidates are encouraged to go through the websites of the guides at https://mech.iitm.ac.in/meiitm/faculty. You may also contact existing students in their research groups to get to know more about their work.
- The email sent to you should include a link to a form. Fill in the form with the following information, preferably before 17th November 2017.
- Application No.
- Choice of prospective guide (Option 1)
- Choice of prospective guide (Option 2)
- You may update your choice until 20th November 2017.
- You may see the responses to the form at the “Statistics” tab of the page listing the topics offered.
Candidates applying under External or Part-time basis, Staff@IITM
- Candidates who are applying under External or Part-time basis or are presently permanent staff at IITM, are required to identify a potential guide at IITM by going through the profiles of faculty at https://mech.iitm.ac.in/meiitm/faculty.
- The candidate should submit (in person or by email) a one page write-up about the research topic to the potenetial guide, for initiating a discussion.
- The candidate should discuss their potential topic of research with the faculty, prior to the interview process, and get the concurrence of the potential guide in the format at https://mech.iitm.ac.in/meiitm/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/ExternalParttime.pdf. The hard copy signed by the potential guide should be handed over to the ME office before 20th November. Candidates may not be interviewed if the form is not received on time.
- A No-objection certificate from the employer as per Appendix 6 of the Admissions brochure should be brought at the time of interview.
Candidates currently working on a project at IITM and applying through project mode.
- This is for candidates who are currently working as project staff at IITM and want to continue for a degree while working on the project. They should provide the Certificate from the Project Co-ordinator as per the format at Appendix 5 of the Admission brochure. The hard copy signed by the project cooridnator (who will also be the research guide) should be handed over to the ME office before 20th November. Candidates may not be interviewed if the form is not received on time.
The written screening tests are likely to be conducted from Nov 25, 2017 to Nov 27, 2017. The interviews are likely to be conducted from Nov 26 2017 to Nov 28 2017.
- The tests are likely to be computerised.
- On Day 1, students will be required to report at 2:00 p.m. at MDS 412 (The location of the Machine Design Section (MDS) building is at https://goo.gl/pjLRbn Get down at Biotech dept. if using the campus bus service.) on the date mentioned. They will be administered a test. Scientific calculators are allowed. The test is likely to be computerized. The duation is likely to be approximately one hour. The syllabus will be similar to the GATE syllabus in Mechanical Engineering. The test will have some questions on Mathematics. In addtion, students can choose to be examined in the area of Design, or Manufacturing, or Thermal, or Design + Thermal, or Design + Manufacturing, or Thermal + Manufacturing, or Design + Thermal + Manufacturing. The names of students selected for interview will be displayed in front of the Mechanical Sciences Block (MSB) ( https://goo.gl/2EAwsr) on the same evening.
- Based on the number of students who appear for the exam and the distribution of marks, a cutoff will be determined. Of the students who clear the screening test, a reasonable number of students per vacancy (ranked either by a composite score or by the screening test marks) who have chosen each potential guide, will be interviewed by an interview committee on Day 2. Students who clear this interview will be interviewed by the potential guide either on the evening of Day 2 or in the morning of Day 3. Interviews are expected to finish latest by 1:00 p.m. on Day 3.
- Candidates called for the written test/interview should bring with them a printed copy of the application submitted online. They should also bring originals and photocopies of the relevant ceritficates. Candidates are encouraged to bring their Bachelors and Masters Project reports/Theses.
Check List while coming for written test:
Original Documents to be submitted for verification at the time of interview:
- Printed copy of application mailed to the candidates after online registration.
- All the semesters Mark sheet/grade card / provisional /degree certificates beginning from first degree towards proof of qualification.
- Community Certificate in the case of SC/ST/OBC-NCL candidates issued by the respective State Government.
- Authorised Doctor’s Certificate with disability descriptions in the case of Person with Disabled (PwD) candidates.
- Copy of GATE score or UGC -JRF/NET/CSIR/ DAE-JEST or other fellowship award.
- Project Co-ordinator’s certificate in the prescribed format and a copy of project appointment.Letter from Dean IC & SR of IITM in the case of Project candidates.
- Copy of tickets in case of PhD candidates (for reimbursement).
- Calculator and pencil/pen.
- No objection certificate from employer in case of External/Part-time candidates.