DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, IIT MADRAS
MS & PhD (July 2018) Results
“The list of selected candidates for admission to MS / PhD in Mechanical Engg., IIT Madras for the session July 2018 is given in the following link
Click here to M.S / PhD July 2018 selected candidates list.
The selected candidates will get separate email (within a week) containing detailed instructions regarding the joining process.”
M.S./Ph.D. Admissions – May 2018
- Thank for your interest in starting your research career with us. Please read the instructions below for further details. All the candidates who applied through the IITM research portal until 31st March 2018 for admission in the MS/PhD/MS+PhD (Direct PhD) program in July 2018 have been considered for this round of interviews.
- Institute-wide regulations are at the Admissions Brochure at https://research.iitm.ac.in/brochure/Admission-brochure-for-Jul-Nov2018ason22March2018.pdf
- Since, the number of candidates applying is large, the department uses a combination of screening tests and interviews to select students, as described below.
- Preliminary shortlisting of candidates has been done based on the criteria given here
- If you meet these criteria, you should receive an email from the Office of the Department of Mechanical Engineering (ME Office) by Wednesday (9th May 2018). If you meet the criteria, but do not receive an email by 9th May, please contact the ME office (email@example.com). Please mention “Admissions” and your application number in the subject line of any mail you send to the ME office.
- A detailed set of instructions for selecting the topics you are interested in pursuing your research in, the interview process, etc will be provided on this page by Wednesday, 9thMay. Please do visit this page daily to check for updates.
- You may see the responses to the form at a link which will be posted here.
- The written screening tests will be conducted from May 23, 2018 to May 25, 2018. The interviews are likely to be conducted from May 24, 2018 and May 25, 2018.
- The tests are likely to be computerised.
- Based on the number of students who appear for the exam and the distribution of marks, a cut-off will be determined. The students who clear the screening test, will be called for interviews on Day 2 and Day 3 (i.e. May 24thand May 25th)
- Candidates called for the written test/interview should bring with them a printed copy of the application submitted online. They should also bring originals and photocopies of the relevant certificates. Candidates are encouraged to bring their Bachelors and Masters Project reports/Theses.
Check List while coming for written test:
Original Documents to be submitted for verification at the time of interview
- Printed copy of application mailed to the candidates after online registration.
- All the semesters Mark sheet/grade card / provisional /degree certificates beginning from first degree towards proof of qualification.
- Community Certificate in the case of SC/ST/OBC-NCL candidates issued by the respective State Government.
- Authorised Doctor’s Certificate with disability descriptions in the case of Person with Disabled (PwD) candidates.
- Copy of GATE score or UGC -JRF/NET/CSIR/ DAE-JEST or other fellowship award.
- Project Co-ordinator’s certificate in the prescribed format and a copy of project appointment letter from Dean IC & SR of IITM in the case of Project Candidates.
- Copy of tickets in case of PhD candidates (for reimbursement).
- Calculator and pencil/pen
- No objection certificate from employer in case of External/Part-time candidates.
Criteria to call for screening test : May 2018
Converting from CGPA to Equivalent % Marks
The tables below use Equivalent % marks. In case your university/college reports CGPAs apply the following steps
- Calculate your equivalent CGPA out of 10
- Convert to Marks using Marks=[CGPA out of 10 – 6]*10 + 55
Example: If your university calculates your CGPA out of 4, and your CGPA is 3 then –
- Your CGPA out of 10 is 7.5.
- Your marks are [7.5-6]*10 + 55 = 70%
Shortlisting criteria for PhD
Full Time (with or without HTRA)
|General||UG ≥75% & PG ≥80%.|
|For candidates with PG from an IIT, only PG >=77% is applied|
|OBC-NCL||UG ≥75% & PG ≥ 80%|
|For candidates with PG from an IIT, only PG >= 75% is applied|
|SC/ST/PwD||UG ≥65% & PG ≥ 70%.|
|For candidates with PG from an IIT, only PG >67% is applied|
Part Time PhD : GATE Not required
|PG ≥75%. For candidates with PG from an IIT, only PG >= 72% is applied|
|PG ≥ 75% For candidates with PG from an IIT, only PG >= 70% is applied|
|SC/ST/PwD||UG ≥ 60%|
|PG ≥65%. For candidates with PG from an IIT, only PG >= 62% is applied|
External / Sponsored: Corresponding criteria in above table + At least 2 years experience in an organization approved by DST, GoI, or IIT Madras
Project: Corresponding criteria in above table +Certificate from the Project Co-ordinator as per Appendix 5 of the Admission Brochure should be submitted before May 23rd, 2018
Shortlisting criteria for MS+ PhD Programme (Direct PhD)
General: UG ≥ 75 %
OBC: UG ≥ 70 %
SC / ST/PwD: UG ≥ 65 %
General: UG ≥ 75 % and GATE ≥ 700
OBC: UG ≥ 70 % and GATE ≥ 600
SC / ST/PwD: UG ≥ 65 % and GATE ≥ 350
Shortlisting criteria for MS (Full time)
General: UG ≥ 70 % and GATE ≥ 700
OBC: UG ≥ 70% and GATE ≥ 600
SC / ST / PwD: UG ≥ 60% and GATE ≥ 350
Same as above, but GATE is not required
Above criteria with or without GATE. Certificate from the Project Co-ordinator as per Appendix 5 of the Admission Brochure should be submitted before 23rd May, 2018
External / Part-time / Sponsored: GATE not required
External / Sponsored: Corresponding criteria in above table + At least 2 years experience in an organization approved by DST, GoI, or IIT Madras.
Project: Corresponding criteria in above table +At least 2 years experience, working in a reputed university / institution / organization.