DEPARTMENT OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, IIT MADRAS
M.S. / Ph.D. Admissions – November 2018:
M.S. / Ph.D. Admissions – General Information:
Ph.D (Regular & Direct) Written Test on 28th November, 2018 followed by Interview on 29th November, 2018
M.S. Written Test on 29th November, 2018 followed by Interview on 30th November, 2018
- Thank for your interest in starting your research career with us. Please read the instructions below for further details. All the candidates who applied through the IITM research portal until 31st October 2018 for admission in the MS / Ph.D. / Direct Ph.D. program in November 2018 have been considered for this round of selection.
- The Short listed candidates will be published in the Department webpage on or before 14th November, 2018.
- The names of the shortlisted candidates will be announced in the department webpage and the individual call letter will be emailed to the shortlisted candidates to their emails registered in the application.
- A copy of the Call Letter is posted here for information purpose ONLY ( For MS & For PH.D ).
- The candidates are to watch the department webpage for any other information in connection with the MS and Ph.D Admission.
- Preliminary shortlisting has been done based on the marks (UG/PG/Gate as applicable) as declared by the candidate in the application. Scrutiny of the original documents of the candidates will be done in presence of the candidates on 28th Nov (for PhD & Direct Ph.D) and 29th Nov (for MS). Based on the scrutiny if a candidate is found not satisfying the shortlisting criteria (in terms of marks and/or experience as applicable) then the candidature will be canceled. The shortlisting criteria based on marks is as given below. The experience and other requirements as applicable is as given in the admission brochure ( click here for the brochure ).
- If you meet these criteria, you should receive an email from the Office of the Department of Mechanical Engineering (email@example.com) by Thursday (15th November 2018). If you meet the criteria but did not receive an email, please contact the ME office (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please mention “Admissions” and your application number in the subject line of any mail you send to the ME office.
- As instructed in the call letter (sent by email), shortlisted candidates who intend to appear for the screening test/interview are required to fill the google form (link given in the call-letter email).
- The screening tests are likely to be computerised.
- Based on the number of students who appear for the exam and the distribution of marks, a cut-off will be determined. The students who clear the screening test will be called for interviews on the next day. Candidates who clear the screening test will be given further instructions.
- Candidates called for the written test/interview should bring with them a printed copy of the application submitted online. They should also bring originals and photocopies of the relevant certificates. Candidates are encouraged to bring their Bachelors and Masters Project reports/Theses.
Check List while coming for written test:
Original Documents to be submitted for verification at the time of interview
- Printed copy of application mailed to the candidates after online registration.
- All the semesters Mark sheet/grade card / provisional /degree certificates beginning from first degree towards proof of qualification.
- Community Certificate in the case of SC/ST/OBC-NCL candidates issued by the respective State Government.
- Authorised Doctor’s Certificate with disability descriptions in the case of Person with Disabled (PwD) candidates.
- Copy of GATE score or UGC -JRF/NET/CSIR/ DAE-JEST or other fellowship award.
- Project Co-ordinator’s certificate in the prescribed format and a copy of project appointment letter from Dean IC & SR of IITM in the case of Project Candidates.
- Copy of tickets in case of PhD candidates (for reimbursement).
- Calculator and pencil/pen
- No objection certificate from employer in case of External/Part-time candidates.
Criteria for shortlisting: November 2018
Converting from CGPA to Equivalent % Marks
The tables below use Equivalent % marks. In case your university/college reports CGPAs apply the following steps
- Calculate your equivalent CGPA out of 10
- Convert to % Marks using the formula: % Marks=[CGPA out of 10 – 6]*10 + 55
Example: If your university calculates your CGPA out of 4, and your CGPA is 3 then –
- Your CGPA out of 10 is 7.5.
- Your marks are [7.5-6]*10 + 55 = 70%
Shortlisting criteria for PhD
|General||UG ≥75% & PG ≥75%.|
|For candidates with PG from an IIT, only PG >=72% is applied|
|OBC-NCL||UG ≥70% & PG ≥ 70%|
|For candidates with PG from an IIT, only PG >= 67% is applied|
|SC/ST/PwD||UG ≥60% & PG ≥ 60%.|
|For candidates with PG from an IIT, only PG >57% is applied|
External / Sponsored: Corresponding criteria in above table + experience requirements as given in the admission brochure (
click here for the brochure )
Project: Corresponding criteria in above table +Certificate from the Project Co-ordinator as per
Appendix 5 of the Admission Brochure should be submitted at the time of scrutiny.
Shortlisting criteria for Direct PhD
General: UG ≥ 75 % and GATE ≥ 600
OBC: UG ≥ 70 % and GATE ≥ 545
SC / ST/PwD: UG ≥ 60 % and GATE ≥ 410
For candidates with UG at CFTI, GATE score is not mandatory.
Shortlisting criteria for MS
General: UG ≥ 65 % and GATE ≥ 550
OBC: UG ≥ 60% and GATE ≥ 450
SC / ST / PwD: UG ≥ 50% and GATE ≥ 300
|Non-HTRA same as above, but GATE is not required + relevant experience as given in admission brochure|
|Project above criteria with or without GATE + relevant experience as given in admission brochure. Certificate from the Project Co-ordinator as per Appendix 5 of the Admission Brochure should be submitted at the time of scrutiny.|