Basic concepts in modeling and simulation of manufacturing processes- conventional and unconventional manufacturing processes; Different approaches of modeling – Analytic and numerical techniques.
Empirical and semi-empirical – Design of Experiments (DOE), Analysis of variance (ANOVA), Regression analysis; Numerical methods – Finite Difference and Finite Element Methods.
Newer approaches –Fuzzy Logic, Artificial Neural Networks, Genetic Algorithms. Typical case studies covering different manufacturing processes.
- S.S. Sastry, Introductory Methods of Numerical Analysis Prince Hall of India, New Delhi, 1993.
- Krishnamoorthy C. S., `Finite Element Analysis`, Tata McGraw Hill, 1987.
- David E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley Professional; 2000
- Lotfi Zadeh, Janusz Kacprzyk, Fuzzy Logic for the Management of Uncertainty, Wiley-Interscience, 1992
- James A. Anderson, An Introduction to Neural Networks, The MIT Press, London, 1997
- Simon Haykin, Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation, Prentice Hall; 2 edition, 1998
- Timothy J. Ross, Fuzzy Logic With Engineering Applications, John Wiley, 2004