Introduction to energy transport at different length and time scales, types of energy carriers, Importance of interfaces and boundaries in micro/nanoscale transport, Applications to electronics cooling and energy conversion, MEMS etc.
Micro/Nano scale Conduction and Radiation: Quantum mechanics and statistical thermodynamics, Schrodinger equation and applications, Occupational probabilities of energy states at finite temperature, Boltzmann, Bose-Einstein and Fermi-Dirac equilibrium distributions, Energy states in solids, Electronic band structures in real crystals, Atomic vibrations and phonons, Energy levels in nanostructures, Electron and phonon specific heats, Energy transfer by waves, Landauer formalism, Radiation Phenomenon in spatial and temporal microscales, Particle description of transport processes, Boltzmann transport equation (BTE) and its applications, scattering of energy carriers, Macroscopic constitutive laws and equations from BTE, Classical size effects, Applications to microelectronic and thermoelectric devices, coupled energy transport and conversion, Measurement techniques.
Micro/Nano scale Transport in Fluids: Rarified Gas flows, slip mechanisms, Extended Navier-Stokes equation in microchannel flow. Liquid transport in mini/micro channels forced convection, effects of roughness and property variation. Electrical double layer (EDL) theory for ionic fluids, phase change in mini and micro channels-Boiling, MEB and condensation, thermal properties of Nanofluids, transport phenomenon in nanoparticle suspensions, Applications of micro channels and nanofluids in electronic cooling, micro heat pipes, and microfluidic devices, Measurement techniques.
- Nanoscale energy transport and conversion, Gang Chen, Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Microscale and Nanoscale Heat Transfer, C.B Sobhan and G.P Peterson, CRC press, 2008.
- Nano/Microscale Heat Transfer, Zhuomin Zhang, McGraw-Hill, 2007.
- Microscale energy Transport, C-L. Tien, A. Majumdar, and F.M. Gerner, Taylor & Francis, 1998.
- Heat Transfer Physics, Massoud Kaviany, Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Heat and Fluid Flow in Microscale and Nanoscale Structures, M. Faghri and B. Sunden (Eds.), WIT Press, Southampton, 2004.