Atoms, molecules, bonds in solids crystallinity, defects in metallic structure, dislocations and plastic deformations fracture, iron carbon equilibrium diagrams, steels and cast irons, transformation hardening in steels, TTT diagrams, other heat treatment processes, formation of alloys in steel and cast irons, non ferrous alloys and their applications, special alloys.
Polymers and polymerization, structure and properties of thermoplastics and thermosets: engineering applications, property modifications, mechanical and thermal behaviour, composites with polymer matrix, metal matrix and ceramic matrix: fabrication methods, applications, properties and mechanics.
Processing of polymers and ceramics, thermal spraying, ion beam machining, laser and electron beam processing, superplastic forming, thin films and their deposition, diamond coating techniques, tribological applications.
1) J.T. Black, R.A. Kohser, Degarmo’s Materials and Processes in Manufacturing, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
2) G.E. Dieter, Mechanical Metallurgy, McGraw-Hill Book Company, Third Edition, 2013.
3) Properties and Selection: Iron, Steel and High Performance alloys, ASM Handbook, Volume-1.
4) I.J. Polmear, Light Alloys- From Traditional alloys to Nanocrystals, 4th Edition, Elsevier Publication, 2006.
5) T.W. Clyne and P.J. Withers, An Introduction to Metal Matrix Composites, Cambridge University Press, 2003.
6) R. M. Jones, Mechanics of Composite Materials, 2nd Edition, CRC Press, 2015.